Skip to main content

SHORT STORY-2

PAYING GUEST

New hopes, new dreams, a new beginning, and a new city. It is really wonderful when life gives you opportunities to fulfill your desires. Getting admission in one of India's prestigious university that too for an MBA course is not everyone's cup of tea. I was really grateful and decided to give my best to fulfill my dreams.
"Tai ......These are your train tickets. Don't forget to call us once you reach Ahmadabad. Otherwise, Aai would kill me and Baba .....hahaha....." said Vinay, my younger brother.
"Yes ..Yes... I will definitely call. Okay !!! Bye .....See you all soon. Aai, stop crying. Save these tears for my Bidai day." I said. I was all set for twenty-two hours long journey from Mumbai to Ahmadabad. Though there were tons of questions in my mind but I brushed them aside and got into the train. At times, for making your dreams come true you have to sacrifice a million things.
"The train would arrive at Ahmadabad junction in around thirty minutes." A co-passenger said. He was telling someone over the phone. Maybe he has also moved into a new city or he might have come back home. God knows.... at this news, I was overwhelmed. My college would start in a couple of days and before that I had to look for accommodation. Baba gave me a card that had the address of paying guests near to my college. After all IIM Ahmadabad is a big institution so the city offers a wide range of paying guests and rented apartments for its students.
"Hello!! Baba I have reached Ahmadabad. Ask Aai not to worry." I said.
"Yes, Bada everything is fine. Everyone is proud of you. Take care." Baba said.
I spend the rest of my day visiting paying guests. But could not find a single one good enough to spend the upcoming two years. It was 9:30 pm. I was really exhausted. More than that  I was worried. When suddenly I noticed a pamphlet on the gate of a bungalow just in front of me. It read, " Rooms available, come inside."
I went inside. Rang the bell. A lady, probably of my mother's age opened the door.
" Good evening Ma'am. Rooms available ...."
" No, No Rooms are not available. Just leave."
" But Ma'am ......" It seemed as if she was not at all interested in listening to me.
" I said just go." She screamed and shut the door on my face. I was really hurt to see someone shout on me for no reason. I was about to leave when somebody called from behind and said," Dikri don't feel bad. Mrs. Desai is not that cruel. Come with me. I will show you the room."
Later I found he was Mr. Desai, the owner of the bungalow. Mrs. and Mr. Desai were exact opposites. Mr. Desai extremely polite and humble and Mrs. Desai blunt and rude. Maybe that's why they say- OPPOSITES ATTRACT. I found the room good enough and decided to stay with that old couple. I really liked Mr. Deasi but tolerating Mrs. Desai was a big task. Within no time my college started. I made new friends. I was happy here in Ahmadabad. Moreover, the Desai bungalow felt like home. Being around Mrs. and Mr. Desai gave me eternal joy.
Soon a year passed. My MBA final year started. Everything was changing that too for good but something was still the same. Mrs. Desai's behavior was really becoming a point of concern. She won't talk to people. Even if she did, she would be very rude with them just as she was with me the very first time I met her; without any reason. She got irritated on small things. She would shout on me for no reason. She sat in her room staring at the window for hours. She also made a rule for me; Mr. Desai would drop and pick me up wherever I go. It is really weird. I mean who does that ??? Though Desai uncle never complained but I feel it must have caused a lot of inconvenience for him. Desai aunty would start panicking and howling whenever we would reach home late. I could never understand the reason behind her behavior. Initially, I would let it go. But gradually I became curious to know the reason behind all this.
Finally, I decided to confront Desai aunty. I went to her and asked, "Aunty why do you behave like this??? And this time I want an answer."
"Just leave me alone. Who the hell are you to ask me such questions??? " she replied angrily.
This was nothing unusual. But this time I was determined to know the answers to my questions.
"Mrs. Desai stop shouting at her. She is just like our Sonali. Stop scolding her." Desai uncle requested.
" That's why I scold her...Because she is just like our Sonali."Desai aunty replied back with tears in her eyes and left the room.
Now, who is this Sonali??? How come I am like her ??? I am Nikita Kolhe... Then what they are talking about. I was literally baffled.
"Sonali Desai was our only daughter."Desai uncle said.
"Was your only daughter?? What do you mean uncle?? Where is she now?? And why Desai aunty started crying??" I asked.
"She died two years ago in a road accident. She was of your age and coincidentally she too was an MBA student when we lost her. You resemble a lot to her. See this is Sonali." pointing his finger on his phone wallpaper."After that tragedy, Mrs. Desai had always been like this only. She searches for Sonali in you. That's why she even scolds you like this. Don't mind Dikri." he sighed.
This was the reason she made that stupid rule. She found Sonali in me hence she panicked every time I was late. Maybe she felt roads were not safe for me thus she asked Desai, uncle, to accompany me. She could not afford to face that loss again. This realization changed my perception about Desai aunty. I ran to her and hugged her. This time both of us were crying.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 


  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poem

 तेरा प्यार होश संभाला तो पाया तेरा साथ, हर पल थामा तूने मेरा हाथ। गलतियों पर मेरी खूब लगाई फटकार, माँ,शायद ऐसा ही है तेरा प्यार। संभाला मुझे तूने हर बार। चोट लगी मुझे बार-बार, लेकिन ज़ख्म आए तेरे दिल पर।  माँ,शायद ऐसा ही है तेरा प्यार। भूख नहीं है बोलकर, खिलाया मुझे अपना निवाला। बिताई कई रातें जगकर, ताकि नींद मेरी ना हो बेकार। उंगलियाँ उठी जब मेरी तरफ, भरोसा किया तूने सिर्फ मुझ पर। बन खड़ी हुई तू दीवार, माँ, शायद ऐसा ही है तेरा प्यार।  

Article

SOCIAL MEDIA Sitting beside my mom, I posted a photograph of both of us on my social media account with a caption that I love her the most and she is my world. Maybe making my online friends believe that this is the truth. But strangely could not gather enough courage to express my feelings directly to her. I was just unable to hug her and tell her that I love her the most. Exactly this is what social media has done to each one of us. Still, we are so much engrossed in making our online lives so fancy and perfect that often we ignore its harmful repercussions. Having thousands of online friends, posting the most beautiful pictures with long and impressive captions have become an integral part of our lives. Often our fingers ask for mercy because they are super tired of continuous typing and chatting. Isn't it funny?? Rather it is a matter of pitty. If by chance we come out of our social media accounts then there is not even a single shoulder to lean on and cry when we